Originally posted April 29, 2008.
For our April potluck, the theme was breakfast. I decided to make donuts, I used the recipe found on Vegan Yum Yum (but added a few touches suggested by The Urban Housewife) The recipe was super easy and the donuts came out great. I can’t wait to start experimenting with different options (like a chocolate cake donut).
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp (scant) Nutmeg
- 1 tiny pinch or shake Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Soymilk
- 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Egg Replacer for 1 Egg (I used Ener-G Egg Replacer.)
- 4 Tbs Earth Balance
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients with a whisk to mix thoroughly. Combine wet ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium low heat and mix until earth balance is melted. This mixture should NOT get too hot, you should be able to stick your finger in the mixture. It should feel slightly warm.
- Using a tablespoon measure, scoop out dough into your ungreased nonstick mini-donut pan. If using a regular sized donut pan (like I did), fill them until just below the rim. Smooth out the top of the dough with your fingers, this will make for more even, prettier donuts, but isn’t crucial. If you over fill, your donuts will come out looking like it has a little muffin top. Not the end of the world, but not very donut-like either.
- Bake for 12 minutes. They should not be browned on top, but a tester will come out clean. Invert hot pan over a cutting board or cooling rack to release donuts. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
Glaze for Donuts
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy milk
- a splash of vanilla (optional)
- a bit of agave nectar (optional)
- wilton gel color in rose (optional)
- Whisk all of the ingredients together.
- Dip half of the donut into the glaze, let some drip off, then dip glaze-side down into sprinkles.
- Transfer the donuts to a wire rack with parchment paper underneath, the excess glaze will drip through the rack onto the paper for easy cleaning later.
Chocolate Ganache topping for Donuts
- vegan chocolate, approximately 6 ounces. (I use whole foods vegan semisweet chocolate chips)
- 1/3 cup soymilk
- agave nectar
- Melt the chocolate, soymilk and agave nectar over a double boiler & remove from the heat being careful not to get water in the chocolate.
- Dip your donuts into the chocolate until completely covered & place on a wire rack to drip off excess chocolate. add sprinkles.