Originally posted July 5, 2012.
For 4th of July our friends Susan and Lane threw a “Sausage Fest”, a BBQ with only sausage on the menu. I took this as a opportunity to try making steamed seitan sausages. Using this recipe from Isa at the PPK and a blend of spices from the PPK forums (I used the Frankfurters/hot dogs (2) and made some substitutions based on what I had available), here is what I did…
- 1/2 cup canned Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth (I used Better Than Boulion No Beef Broth)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp marjoram
- ½ tsp stone ground mustard
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp sugar
- In a large bowl, mash the beans until no whole ones are left. Throw all the other ingredients together in the order listed (I added the broth last as it needed to cool) and mix with a fork. Divide dough into 6 even parts. Place one part of dough into tin foil and mold into about a 5 inch log. Wrap dough in tin foil, like a tootsie roll. Don’t worry too much about shaping it, it will snap into shape while it’s steaming.
- Place wrapped sausages in steamer and steam for 40 minutes. I let them cool and then refrigerated them until we left for the party. Then I threw them on the grill for a few moments until they were nice and warm!